“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
I will spare you all the ‘’why you should read’’ speeches and dive right into the purpose of this blog post.
If you can read but are not taking advantage of it, you are doing yourself a disservice. Regardless of how your life is right now, it would be significantly better if you read more.
From your relationships to your mental health and your professional proficiency, reading does elevate you above the ordinary.
Holy pencil! I said I wasn’t going to beat around the bush… But since we’ve come thus far, let me share one more thought with you before we get to the list of the twelve books I think WILL bring tangible transformation into your life. And, even if you happen to have already read some of these books, maybe consider revisiting some of them.
Anyway, here is a list of twelve books I consider the best of the book I read this past year.
These books have added inestimable value to my personal life navigating tool kit. And I have no doubt they will do you good as well.
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
- Top Gun’s Top 10, Guy M. Snodgrass
- The Big Picture, Dr. Ben Carson
- Leadership 101, John C. Maxwell
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, John C. Maxwell
- Extreme Ownership, Jocko Willink
- Leadership strategy and Tactics, Jocko Willink
- 12 rules for Life, Jordan B. Peterson
- Meditations, Marcus Aurelius
- Think Again, Adam Grant
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey
- Altruism, Matthieu Ricard
There you have it! As Descartes once said, “the reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest (people) of the past centuries.” If you’d ask me, I will not deprive myself of such a great privilege… and I hope you neither.